Yeovil Town (H) - 16 Aug 14

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Gillingham v Yeovil Town- Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Can we make it two wins in a week against Yeovil? What Team would you play for this game?
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Yeovil Town (H) - 16 Aug 14

Postby Garawa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:58 pm

The two clubs first met in the FA Cup back in 1949 but it wasn't until 2005 that they met in the league.

Of the 10 fixtures the sides have played each other in, the Gills have won 2 (the latest win being on Tuesday) and the Yeovil have won 5.

There have been 3 draws between the clubs and all 3 have ended with a 0-0 scoreline.

Yeovil have won 1 of their previous 11 competitive away fixtures.

After last season's 10 goal loan top-scorer (Ishmael Miller), the player in the squad with the most goals from last season is James Hayter (8).

3:00
Kick-Off

3:22
Penalty conceded by Legge, the 5th he has conceded for the club. SAVED BY BYWATER!

3:40
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Yeovil: Martin

3:45
Yeovil drew 3 and lost 20 of the 23 games they conceded the opening goal in.

3:55
Half-time: 1-0

3:58
Bottom club Yeovil were behind at the break 10 times last season, 5 fewer than 5th placed Wigan however they only recovered to earn 2 points from them.

4:18
Penalty to the Gills after a foul on Aaron Morris.

4:19
GOAL! Gillingham 2-0 Yeovil: Kedwell
Danny Kedwell misses a penalty, only his 3rd from 23 penalties taken but scores from the rebound.

4:59
Full-time: 2-0
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Gillingham v Yeovil Town- Match Thread

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:26 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

---------------------------G.Morris-----------------------------------
------------Legge-----------Egan-------------Hause-----------------
Hare-----------------------------------------------------------Martin
-----------A.Morris------Hessenthaler-----------Loft------------------
------------------Kedwell-----------------Dickenson-----------------

Subs: Bywater (GK), Davies, McKain, Pritchard, Dack, Norris, German

Injuries will dictate the way Peter Taylor wants to line up and with Jermaine McGlashan out injured I am expecting Peter Taylor to stick with the 3.5.2 / 5.3.2 formation he played at Huish Park on Tuesday Night with Jake Hessenthaler and Danny Kedwell coming in for Bradley Dack and Luke Norris, other then those two changes the team really does pick itself because looking at the subs bench we really do look like we're down to the bare bones.

I will also add that I think Stephen Bywater has been signed as understudy to Glenn Morris, why offer Glenn Morris a contract and sign a goalkeeper on loan as cover for Stuart Nelson, that doesn't make any sense, we could of gone with one goalkeeper and used the loan market to cover Stuart Nelson if he was injured or suspended, or we would sign someone as Number Two and that's what we did when we signed Glenn Morris.

It say's a lot about Stephen Bywater's future at Millwall if there willing to loan him to us for the next five months.

Hopefully we can end the first week of the new Football League Season on a high and make it back to back win against Yeovil Town, COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Listening to Peter Taylor on Gillsplayer he says McDonald,McGlashan,and Linganzi are definitely out tomorrow.Dickenson has a chance,and Fish should be in the Squad.

FOM`s Team looks right I think.Hopefully we can get the win,and our first three points of the season.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:35 am

Four across the back, three goal scoring forwards, two wingers, a keeper, and Bobby Moore as a center half to control 4 acres of midfield, distribute the ball and hold the whole dam thing together.
Gillingham 3, Yeovil 1,thats my prediction, anything less and Taylor has to go, make way for Hessy,lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm

I thought it was a scrappy game,but i`m pleased we have got our first three points of the season.I think the turning point of the game was when Legge gave away the penalty,and Moore`s weak effort was easily saved by Bywater.From then on we looked better and we were rewarded a free kick outside of the area.Martin stepped up and put it straight in the top corner,not a bad way to celebrate his 150th appearance for the Club! Just before Half-time it could have been 2-0 as Yeovil couldn`t clear the ball away,and Legge`s header had to be tipped over the bar.Ten minutes after half-time we were awarded a penalty after Smith fouled Aaron Morris.Kedwell stepped up and his penalty was saved,but luckily he followed up and scored the rebound.

The downside of the game was the two injuries to Josh Hare,and Joe Martin.Hare looked like he got hit in the face with the ball and went off on the stretcher looking dazed,and Martin looked like he hurt his knee and also went off on the stretcher.We seem to be having no luck with injuries at the minute.Two wins in a week against Yeovil,and it is good to have our first three points of the season.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Stunning free kick by Martin. His kicking is getting better and better and very worrying not only how he went off but that he become the 3rd stretchered off (and the 4th to be badly injured it seems) from only 2 league games. Hope he is ok.

I think Yeovil made us look better, they weren't good at all really. Got to be pleased with the result, more wins then we had after something like 11 or 12 games last season, scored 2 in each with 5 different scorers when last season we had yet to score and its a solid start in my book.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:51 am

Sky match stats give us only 33% possession! That can't be right surely ?
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Match stats on ESPN say the same thing, made it sound like a pretty poor game with Gills having 6 shots with 2 on goal to Yeovils 11 with 1 on goal and a total of 11 fouls against GFC and 12 to Y T.
Still 3 points is 3 points any way you can get them, think we need to get it all together this week, couple of tougher teams coming up.
Injuries seem to be mounting up all ready, thats not good.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:36 pm

My Thoughts on Gillingham V Yeovil Town.....

Not a great performance from The Gills but we gladly take all three points against a Yeovil Town Side who look very likely to suffer back to back relegation's this season as there squad is not the strongest and they don't have the finances or fear factor Wolverhampton Wanderers or Peterborough United had, as those two could spend there way out of trouble.

I was surprised to to see Stephen Bywater selected over Glenn Morris, who I thought played exceptionally well in our 2 - 1 win against Yeovil Town at Huish Park and didn't deserve to be dropped but five minutes into the match and Stephen Bywater gathers a high dangerous cross and relieves some of the pressure that has been building on Gillingham's goal.

Eleven Minutes into the match and Josh Hare had to stretchered off and Matt Fish was substituted on in his place, Josh Hare blocked a cross with the side of his face but it was strange for Josh Hare to be substituted because of that, I thought Josh Hare might be seeing stars but would be able to continue but he was knocked out cold and our luck with injuries just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Yeovil Town had two chances in two minutes, AJ Leitch-Smith created the first goal-scoring opportunity in the 12th minute as he was able to cut inside Leon Legge far too easily and The Yeovil Town front-man ran across the whole Gillingham Back Three before teeing up Kevin Dawson and thankfully from our point of view Kevin Dawson scuffed the shot wide because if Kevin Dawson got a much stronger connection on the ball then I think Stephen Bywater would of been struggling, a minute later and Yeovil Town threatened our goal again, Jakub Sokolik beats Danny Kedwell in the air and Simon Gillett wins the ball in midfield Aaron Martin plays a floated through-ball to AJ Leitch-Smith who cuts inside Leon Legge again and this time AJ Leitch-Smith hits a low shoot through a crowd of bodies, but Stephen Bywater does well to dive low down his right to prevent Yeovil Town from opening the scoring.

In The Seventeenth Minute and Yeovil Town have been awarded a penalty kick, Chris Weale's long kick down-field is aimed towards Kieffer Moore and and The Yeovil Town Centre Forward's presence forces John Egan to header sideways, but Leon Legge's challenge on Ben Nugent is clumsy and Leon Legge has been having a mare so far because Kieffer Moore is winning the aerial battle and now Leon Legge has conceded the penalty, Kieffer Moore stepped up to take penalty responsibilities for Yeovil Town and the towering centre forward's penalty was poor into the bottom left corner of the net and Stephen Bywater dived the right way to keep Gillingham in the match - Peter Taylor's decision to start with Stephen Bywater in goal has turned out to be an inspiring choice so far.

That Penalty Save seemed to spark Gillingham into life as we started to have more possession of the ball, both Doug Loft and John Egan have tried to pick out Joe Martin on the left flank but for Egan's pass Joe Martin was offside and Doug Loft's pass was over-hit when really Doug Loft wanted to thread the ball through to Antonio German but German was standing in a offside position and this broke up our attacking play a bit.

And Twenty Five Minutes into the match and Doug Loft played a through-ball for Antonio German to run on to and German's cross to the far post was heading towards Danny Kedwell but Aaron Martin made a crucial interception, but despite that attempted effort for Gillingham it was still Yeovil Town who were in the ascendancy as Simon Gillett's through-ball to Kieffer Moore is over-hit and runs through to Stephen Bywater, Nathan Ralph plays an excellent through-ball to AJ Leitch-Smith and The Yeovil Town striker collides with Stephen Bywater, Bywater is OK to continue, but even if AJ Leitch-Smith got to the ball first the linesman had flagged for offside.

I don't like the way we defend corners and free kicks, we bring everyone back and over-crowd our own penalty area and this allows Yeovil Town to throw everyone forward, also when defending free kicks we just have one long defensive line and this gives us one chance to clear the ball, we ideally need a defensive line, two on the edge of the D of the penalty area and two on the halfway line, we just seem to create our own problems when we defend set plays, Peter Taylor was furious on the sidelines with some of the decisions that had not been awarded in our favour as there were some reckless challenges on Aaron Morris and Jake Hessenthaler and this was frustrating us Gillingham Supporters and frustration seemed to sum up the whole first half.

With Jermaine McGlashan out and Brennan Dickenson on the subs bench we just have not got a outlet, Danny Kedwell can hold the ball up and he will give it 100% but he isn't going to threaten Yeovil Town's defence in and behind with his pace, and while Antonio German is giving his all, he just has not the same level of pace or ability that Cody McDonald has and it means that Yeovil Town can continue to hit long balls towards Kieffar Moore and the number of times The Yeovil Town Centre Forward won the ball in the air must of been 15 - 20 times, if only someone in a Yeovil Town Shirt was anticipating where these headers were going and had someone anticipated the knock down then Gillingham would of been in deep trouble.

But thirty five minutes into the match and Gillingham take the lead against the run of play, Danny Kedwell was fouled by Nathan Smith and up steps Joe Martin to curl the ball into the top left corner of the net from twenty five yards out, This is very similar to the free kick Joe Martin scored against Peterborough United last season, somehow Gillingham are 1 - 0 up in a game that Yeovil Town have been dominating and that penalty miss is so costly now, rather then Yeovil Town being 1 - 0 up it is Gillingham who have taken the lead.

Fort Three Minutes into the match and Stephen Bywater completely mis-judges the flight of Simon Gillett's free kick and thankfully for us the header hits the side netting, but Gillingham ended the first half strongly and could of added a second goal before the break, Antonio German intercepts Kieffer Moore's poor backpass and goes on a run down the right flank, checks back and plays a cross-field pass to Joe Martin, Joe Martin's first choice is brilliant and Joe Martin beats Kevin Dawson to the byline and Joe Martin's cross is headered out for a corner kick.

The resulting corner kick was swing in by Jake Hessenthaler and Yeovil header the ball clear but only as far as the edge of there penalty area and Joe Martin plays the ball out-wide to Jake Hessenthaler who see's his cross charged down by Kevin Dawson and Joe Martin's first time cross to the far post is only half cleared to Danny Kedwell who was urged to shoot from the home crowd, but Danny Kedwell threads the ball out-wide to Antonio German who pulls the ball back past the advancing Chris Weale and Aaron Martin makes a crucial block, Danny Kedwell volleys the ball across the face of Yeovil Town's penalty area, the ball is sliced up into the air, then headered up and under, before Chris Weale has to tip Leon Legge's header over the crossbar, Gillingham end the half strongly after a terrible start.

HALF TIME: GILLINGHAM 1 - 0 YEOVIL TOWN

Somehow Gillingham are in-front after conceding a penalty and shocking start to the first half but the one thing that goal-mouth scramble showed us at the end of the first half is that Yeovil look just as poor defensively as we do because I have not been impressed with the way Gillingham have defended corners or free kicks throughout the first three matches of the season, great strike from Joe Martin for the free kick to give Gillingham the lead, but I don't think Joe Martin has the pace to play as a attacking wing back.

Dickenson and McGlashan not starting means that we got to play 3.5.2 and Loft, Hessenthaler and Morris are all trying to protect Legge, Egan and Hause, Kedwell and German cannot provide us with the outlet we need and Yeovil Town have constantly found Kieffar Moore with long balls and going direct, thankfully no-one is anticipating the knock downs or Gillingham would be in deep trouble by now.

Had we not taken off Josh Hare for Matt Fish I would of said that Brennan Dickenson needs to come on for Antonio German, but I doubt we will risk using a second sub and we will probably wait until the players start to tire around the hour mark before we start making any substitutions.
fan_of_mulligan

Next

Return to Match Discussions