Yeovil Town (A) - 12 Aug 14

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Yeovil v Gillingham-Match Thread (Capital One Cup)

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:38 pm

We travel to Yeovil Town on Tuesday for the Capital One Cup first round tie.This will be the first of two matches against Yeovil this week.I guess both Teams will play different Teams for this game,to what we will play on Saturday.It would be nice to win the game and get into the second round,but I guess most fans would rather win Saturday`s League game more.

Line Up? Nelson,and Cody are both out of the game.I think we will change the Team a bit.

G.Morris
Hare,Legge,Egan,Martin
McGlashan,Dack,Loft,Dickenson
Kedwell,Norris

Subs: Hadler,Davies,Hause,Hessenthaler,A.Morris,German,Millbank
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Re: Yeovil v Gillingham-Match Thread (Capital One Cup)

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Think you let the Gills off to lightly, we need to win both games , can not imagine anyone going into a game saying well we don't need to win this game but we do need to win one next Saturday. Bloody hell with that mentality we might as well go and play in the Pub League somewhere, at least the fans will be able to go and see games for free.
Gillingham had as much time to prepare for this opening game as any other team in the division, we played OK for 40+ minutes, then became something resembling a team put together by Capt. Manwering in Dads Army, (ask your grand parents), and don't tell me it was the first game of the season, because it was the first game of the season for the team that made us look like fools. I know we can't win them all, I understand that but hell we could at least have put up a fight.
Only good thing I see about the whole dame thing is we do play Yeovil and they started off worse than us, can you imagine that, someone played worse than Gillingham this past weekend ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:55 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:Think you let the Gills off to lightly, we need to win both games , can not imagine anyone going into a game saying well we don't need to win this game but we do need to win one next Saturday. Bloody hell with that mentality we might as well go and play in the Pub League somewhere, at least the fans will be able to go and see games for free.
Gillingham had as much time to prepare for this opening game as any other team in the division, we played OK for 40+ minutes, then became something resembling a team put together by Capt. Manwering in Dads Army, (ask your grand parents), and don't tell me it was the first game of the season, because it was the first game of the season for the team that made us look like fools. I know we can't win them all, I understand that but hell we could at least have put up a fight.
Only good thing I see about the whole dame thing is we do play Yeovil and they started off worse than us, can you imagine that, someone played worse than Gillingham this past weekend ??

Of course I want to win both,I just said that if fans were given a choice they would rather have the three points as it is the bread and butter.I`m sure we will make a few changes to the side as Dack,and Norris didn`t play on Saturday.Hare should be given a chance at RB,and then Egan could then partner Legge at Centre back.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 am

I just get so angry with GFC, we were there in the Championship Division and Scally let us drop back to the cellar. We came up only two seasons ago, number one, two million points and he did nothing to keep that ball rolling, for what ever the reason, and I still don't think anyone forgets how to coach over the Summer vacation ,we end up on the verge of relegation the following season.
I apaologise guy, I didn't mean to be a** holeish, it's just for the first time in over 40 years er sorry 20 years I have excepted that Gillingham Football Club are a team who are going to dwell in the bottom tiers of the FA until they either go broke or move to become Gillswall United, or Northfleet and Gillingham Albion (what ever an Albion is) or I die, and I am really fed up with it.
Yeah were in the First Division, look at the teams we play, not one match where you think must watch or listen to that game, what was it Barnsley, Doncaster and Yeovil relegated last year, combined they are not as exciting as playing Wolves. I just get so fed up with the mediocrity that surrounds GFC, I think the fans deserve better.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:06 am

You're not alone in feeling that way and I don't care what the background of MK Dons is, you see that fantastic facility they have there, the way they are cultivating the relationship with local youth football , the local council, retailers and developers; then compare it to our Chairman bleeding the club of every penny he can get while he plays absentee landlord in Scally Palace .

5 years time the Dons will be at least Championship level, I wish we had someone who puts the club first !
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Nice away win for Barnet/ Harrow or what ever they are called, managed by Mr. Allen, guess he didn't forget how to coach after all, lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:21 pm

I actually think from a financial point of view Gillingham need to win tomorrow more then they need to win on Saturday - now I want Gillingham to win every game, but I accept that is just not possible in the lower league's - but from a financial prospective, a win tomorrow and with The Seeded / Un-Seeded Nature of The Second Round Draw then at the very least Gillingham will be drawn against a high Championship Club in The Second Round.

But the real plum tie of Round Two is whoever plays against Manchester United, this is the first time I can remember Manchester United not involved in either European Cup Competition, now if we were to get Manchester United at Priestfield (unlikely I know), then the money made from that game could well allow Peter Taylor to make further additions to the squad which could benefit us over the entire season.

Promotion / Playoffs is just too far ahead of us, MK Dons, Sheffield United, Bristol City, Peterborough United, Leyton Orient and Preston North End all have resources we can only dream of having, they also get much higher league attendances which means they money these clubs spend are within FFP Rules, but if promotion is too far to reach, then let's try and do well in the cup competitions - which is where Gillingham really did fail last season.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Josh Pritchard has tweeted that he is available to play tomorrow,so that is a positive for us.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:52 pm

You're right however Saturdays game is very winnable indeed. I don't see us beating them twice in a matter of days and we also don't want to go too many games in without a win otherwise we are in that horrid territory we were last season. Perhaps we can draw and beat them on pens instead! :-D
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm

I am never less than staggered by the memory of our time in the Championship. Our average gate was 8,000 plus or minus a few which was never going to support a Championship club for very long. Now I know Rimshot will go on about marketing, but we were playing at our highest level ever and we only sold out for 5 or 6 home games. We could not compete financially and every season it got harder as parachute payments went up and our income didn't. Eventually our good players that people wanted went even if just to sit on the bench and others got too old. We couldn't replace the players because of wage demands and the Gills not being a "favoured" destination.
Once a club goes down a division and players are leaving another relegation quite often happens especially when fans now have over high expectations so get on any manager / players backs within four games. In fact from about 2004 it was quite embarrassing to be a Gills fan as far was I was concerned especially at home matches.
Now with regards to the Yeovil games I agree we should want to win both and a good cup run is always a bonus and we need to bounce back from the MK Dons result, but if we lose either it won't be the end of the world.
Elgrande

Next

Return to Match Discussions