Yeovil Town (A) - 12 Aug 14

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Re: Yeovil v Gillingham-Match Thread (Capital One Cup)

Postby Rimshot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:44 am

You make some valid points Elg but the fact remains that all Scally did with the opportunity was to extract more money from the club. Our rise to the championship was always a perilous journey BUT no attempt was made to exploit the chance it presented, other than to enrich the chairman.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 am

I agree with all of the above but for all his faults, Scally wasn't the one responsible for our relegation. It was a wonder we did what we did at all given our size. The league has been proliferated with large former top division clubs for years. Some very big sides have come down from that division after us and some stayed down so it would be incredibly naive to think we should still be there.

We were the local pub singer who got to sing on national tv, it won't last. In order for us to get there Scally must spend big but under the fair play rules he can't even if he could unless the fans back him with cash which, like Elgrande says, hasn't happened. Regardless of what people think about the chairman, he doesn't take enough money to make any difference at all. This will only get harder as the financial rules restricts what we can spend so if we want championship football, we need to start selling out the ground.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:06 am

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

---------------------------G.Morris-----------------------------------
Hare------------Legge-------------------Egan------------------Martin
---------------Pritchard---------------Hessenthaler-------------------
Dack------------------------Loft-----------------------------Dickenson
---------------------------Kedwell-----------------------------------

Subs: Hadler (GK), Hause, Davies, McGlashan, A.Morris, Norris, German

I think the injury to Cody McDonald and Josh Pritchard's recovery will mean that Peter Taylor will stick with the system he played against MK Dons at Stadium MK on Saturday, but I am expecting a few changes to the side tonight with Josh Hare, Josh Pritchard, Bradley Dack and Brennan Dickenson coming into the side for Kortney Hause, Aaron Morris, Jermaine McGlashan and Cody McDonald, while Glenn Morris will take Stuart Nelson's spot in goal for the foreseeable future.

Both Yeovil Town and Gillingham will want to recover from there opening day loses at the weekend with a good result tonight, and Gillingham need to make up for there dreadful performances in the cup competitions last season, considering The Seeded / Un-Seeded Format of The Second Round, the winners of tonight's cup tie will be guaranteed a match against high Championship Opposition in Round Two, but the tie everyone is looking out for is Manchester United, as this is the first time in a long time I can remember Manchester United not playing European Football.

I think McGlashan will come on around the hour mark, his pace against tiring defenders can cause Yeovil a few problems, hopefully John Egan will be alongside Leon Legge in defence as I see those two as our first chocie centre back pairing - whatever happens we know that the result will be decided tonight, and there is the possibility of extra time and penalties if we need them - although I much prefer it if we can get the win inside ninety minutes.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:16 am

Was this the set up then Lee (4-2-3-1)?? I certainly looked like that from the video of Cody's goal but the Gills said we were 4-4-2.

Garawa

Yeovil Town (A) - 12 Aug 14

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Yeovil have lost their last 2 competitive home fixtures 0-3 and 1-4 and have lost 5 and drawn 2 of their previous 7 home matches. The Gills haven't won in 5 attempts on the road and have lost the last 2.

The Gills record away to same league opposition in Round 1 of the League cup stands at Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 8 (Goals 11 - 17).

The Gills have only been involved in 1 penalty shoot-out in this competition beating Brighton & Hove Albion after 2 legs in 1987.

The Gills have only met Yeovil once in any major cup competition losing a 3-1 away FA Cup tie in 1950.

9 of the last 14 first round League Cup ties have been away from home. The Gills have lost 4 of the last 5 but beat Bristol City in the last away tie.

Cody McDonald's goal on Saturday put him on 47 for the club level with Marlon King as the player with the most goals since the Championship era.

Danny Kedwell's penalty on Saturday was the 20th he had converted for the club from his 41 goals. He has only missed 2.

Kedwell set up Cody's opener at the weekend, his 14th assist for the club. He has provided more assists than any other player at the club followed by Joe Martin (11) and Leon Legge (7).

7:45
Kick-Off

8:06
GOAL! Yeovil 0-1 Gillingham: Dickenson
Just 8 leads away from home was managed in the whole of last season. The Gills have now managed 2 in 2 games at the start of this season.

8:31
Half-time: 0-1

8:56
GOAL! Yeovil 1-1 Gillingham

8:59
GOAL! Yeovil 1-2 Gillingham: A Morris

9:03
Yeovil go down to 10 men after a poor foul on Luke Norris.

9:35
Full-time: 1-2

Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:37 pm

Mr Literal strikes again. Loosen up Fanny for gawds sake! 8-)
Elgrande

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:51 pm

What are you refering to Elg or have I missed something?

Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:49 pm

The thread had gone to a slightly broader discussion and without a blink it was taken back to a dry and factual article. One of the biggest fans yes, laugh a minute in the boozer I think not! ;)
Elgrande

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:48 am

I`m pleased we have won the game and are in the next round,where we can get a Premier League side not in Europe.Yeovil did sound like they had quite a bit of the ball,but luck was on our side tonight.A mix up from their keeper and defender which allowed Dickenson to slot in to an empty net.They equalised with a rocket,and then not long after we scored a belter ourselves from Aaron Morris who got the winning goal.It was good to hear that Glenn Morris made a few good saves as that will give him some much needed confidence.

I didn`t think we would go through,but i`m very pleased we have gone through.Most importantly this should give us a bit of confidence for the League game on Saturday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:35 am

A total of 2,200 went to see this game, guess we didn't make much money from that did we, hope we get a good draw in the next round ?? Seems we had 50% of the play but might have been lucky to come away with the win, looks as if it could have gone to penalty's but a win,is a win so thank you the gods of football.
gillsfan1066

PreviousNext

Return to Match Discussions