Kick out racism campaign

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Kick out racism campaign

Postby Kezz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:22 am

What's the feeling on the Rio Ferdinand story? I'm no Rio fan but I think he has a point, that's what is the point of the campaign if the FA are slow to do anything about it, is it just a token gesture?
Kezz

Re: Kick out racism campaign

Postby sotongill » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Interesting quote from Jason Brown in the Daily Mail Yesterday , when asked about Jason Roberts who had said that he wouldn't wear the T-shirt ;

" I support him 100% . I've had this stance since an incident when i was playing for Gillingham against Chesterfield a few years ago . After the lack of support i had from Kick It Out and the FA , i said i would never support them because i feel they don't want to help players in the lower leagues . We need to feel confident in terms of the people who are dealing with these matters . We don't feel that ."
sotongill

Postby Kezz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Token gesture then. Shame.
Kezz

Postby Snackboyslim » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Interesting point made about this subject on Sunday Supplement on Sky this morning.

The campaign has done an awfull lot to erradicate racism in football, but it´s major success have come from ´educating´football society. You wont hear 10000 people chanting disgusting monkey noises, or using the ´n´word anymore in the UK. It´s hightened peoples awareness of just how in can not, and will not be excepted or tolerated.

However, there will always be occasional singular incidence that you can´t avoid. If such incidents had been say, 10 years ago, would we have known? It´s because of this campaigne that it has been all over the press.

I think certain individuals want perfection in an imperfect world, and no matter how important the subject is, they´re kidding themselves if they believe that would ever happen.

There will always be the odd one or two and it´s an impossible task to treat each individual case the same as the last. The arguments will go on.
Snackboyslim

Postby Poshgill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:40 am

Fair play to Rio. He is spot-on. This campaign just plays lip-service to anti racism. There is no significant achievement made by this campaign. It's not good enough for players to wear a Tshirt. Actions speak louder than words. If the FA were so against racism, they would have banned Terry for life. Imagine what a powerful statement that would have given to the kids. I hope Fergie doesn't try and hammer Rio for his refusal to wear the shirt. There are many reasons why he shouldn't but the fundamental thing for me is freedom of speech. (And what the hell does Fergie know about being black?)
Poshgill

Postby Rimshot » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 am

Fergie seems to have seen sense. This was outside what a manager can legitimately demand of a player. It's a pity that there isn't unanimity on the matter but perhaps this has ,oddly, worked to the advantage of the campaign by focusing more coverage on it. A couple of seasons back I had the misfortune to be seated next to a group of GFC fans who were abusing a sikh assistant ref so I don't think we're entirely blameless , notwithstanding the appalling performance of Scally in the recent tribunal case.
Rimshot

Postby The Pieman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Cant help thinking that a bit like football violence, it has not been kicked out of football, merely suppressed as people realise that with camera's, police, etc that they are far more likely to be identified. Think Ferdinand was right to stand up for what he believes in and given the coverage over the last few days, it has definitely worked as its on everywhere and even Fergie has backed down.
The Pieman

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Unfortunately, it won´t be too long for the next saga. I do feel that improvements have been made, there´s alot more that can and should be done, but there will always be people who are still not happy.

As sad as it is, and I dare say, what we would all like, it will never go away completely. People and the media will always be looking to point a finger of blame at somone or some campaign to do better, to make a bigger example or statement. There will still be those that are dis-satisfied, unless lifetime bans are introduced, but that i feel will never happen. Until then everyone will be debating this issue and going around in circles.
Snackboyslim

Postby brb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm

The Pieman wrote:Cant help thinking that a bit like football violence, it has not been kicked out of football, merely suppressed as people realise that with camera's, police, etc that they are far more likely to be identified. Think Ferdinand was right to stand up for what he believes in and given the coverage over the last few days, it has definitely worked as its on everywhere and even Fergie has backed down.

Pieman - absolutely agree with your comment about suppression 100%. I have highlighted this many times and probably been shot down for doing so. I do not believe a lot of these issues in society have gone away, we have merely succeeded in suppressing them in environments such as football grounds. Suppression just acts as a blanket over society's problems, while otherwise eroding the innocent lifestyle of the working classes. It never properly addresses the real issues and certainly never will throughout the world as most other countries have very little interest in social behaviour and developments on our tiny island.

Take people such as Aaron Cawley as an example for the hooligan element, here we are in 2012 and he stepped outside that suppression of the cameras and basically did not care less. Yes, ok he has got a prison sentence and been issued with a life ban by Leeds United. His problem though has not gone away, just been merely suppressed for it to be inflicted on the rest of society outside of football .
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
brb

Postby Rimshot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 am

Recognising prejudice for what it is - that's a big first step. We all suffer from prejudices, it's having the nous to realise that your first, emotional reaction to something doesn't make it the right one. When England plays Germany at football, Australia at Cricket, France at Rugby there are all sorts of feelings that may surface. One of sport's great values is that it should teach you the difference between banter and abuse; also that you have to be big enough to lose sometimes.
Rimshot

Next

Return to Football Discussion