John Egan article on BBC Football

A forum for the sharing of external media articles and news reports. For articles wanting discussions, please post with the "Gills Discussion" threads below.

John Egan article on BBC Football

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:12 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29166795

John Egan hopes he can build on his current form following his summer move from Sunderland.
fan_of_mulligan

Re: John Egan article on BBC Football

Postby Garawa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:40 pm

Another interesting article from the Sunderland Echo about Egan. This should really be a lesson to all those doubting Gills fans out there un-impressed with our summer acquisitions as this has no local influence on it. Part of it reads:

"Egan was highly-rated as he made his way through Sunderland’s academy ranks, yet the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international was released in the summer without making a first-team appearance for the Black Cats.

The 21-year-old, who spent the final three months of last season on loan at Southend, had a host of Football League clubs chasing his signature this summer, but opted to join ex-Leicester manager Peter Taylor at Gillingham.

And after starting every League One encounter so far for the Gills, Egan realises that he has been more fortunate than several of his former Sunderland team-mates, with ex-Black Cats pair Ryan Noble and Adam Reed starting for non-league Darlington 1883 last weekend.

“I think when you’re young and at a big Premier League club like Sunderland, if you are not playing in the first team you need to get out on loan.

“You want to play at 3pm every Saturday and play in the big leagues.

“A few of my mates up at Sunderland are very good players but haven’t had that break. It can be hard after that.

“One of the reasons I came here was that I wanted to play every game and show people what I am capable of.

“The manager said ‘if you come here you’ll get a chance’ and that he believed in my ability.

“I’m personally very happy with how I’m playing and how I’ve gelled in with the lads and the team.”
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to Rumours, Media Articles and Links