Still 4 points clear

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Still 4 points clear

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 am

Seems we were unlucky not to come away with a point, we seem to be having some exciting last few minutes in our games. Dam , well lets look on the bright side still 4 points up and with Stanley on Saturday, a team we owe a good tub thumping to, then a relaxing week leading up to the cup,plenty of time for the lads to get arrested ,bailed out and still be there for practice.
Come on Gills AUTOMATIC is a MUST.
gillsfan1066

Re: Still 4 points clear

Postby Kezz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:19 am

Tough run coming up. Hopefully we'll get something out of them. We just weren't at it yesterday. First half we wasted so many chances then second half paid for it. Lovely goal from Jacko was the highlight.
Kezz

Postby Noircat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:02 pm

It was a disappointing result. My guest at half time said there was only 1 team going to win it-and we didn't. Why didnt we shut Cureton down-hardly a surprise.

My concern is that whilst I am delighted with the curent state of affairs I think we are struggling to get the rresults we were enjoying a few games back. Snatched draw against a po0r Plymouth side,Heading for a draw v Morecambe which would have been a poor result and now Exeter. I am also not sure about MA constant rotation of players. On Sat there were several game changers/match winners on the bench. Weston/Lee etc. Strevens is not a game changer and I think he has been rather in effectual in the last 2 games.
As soon as Myles comes on something happens. If he had been making things happen from the start yesterday then we may have got 2-0 ahead. Then if we must he can be swapped.
I follow MA idea of always subbing a yellow. But we are not getting enough miles on the pitch out of Charlie Lee-one of our stand out players whom we have already missed through injury.

I do not agree with the manner in which we are on the brink of losing Jack P. Always an outstanding player. Montrose has improved but I dont think there is any comparison.

I fear for some of the games coming up Particularly Accrington-where we could get a double loss and if that happens there will be more questions. I am not too bothered but I think we will go out of thecup. Its the league that matters and we have to start banging in 2 goals to cushion using our best players from the start to do this.
NC
Noircat

Postby lidbid46 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Good posts, much of which I agree with. I think the idea of subbing anyone who has been booked automatically at half time is too rigid. If that is a precaution against a sending off, why not sub the offender straight away in case he gets booked again before half time? What happens if two or even three players are booked before half time? Subbing when it is not tactical that early means that you cannot make effective changes later on. Then there is the problem of what happens if you make all your subs early and someone gets injured, then you end up with ten men anyway. We said last night when Lee had left the game to be replaced by Weston that we would end up either scoring lots or conceding a few. It became a team that you would put out if you were two goals behind and chasing the game, when we were drawing and needed to keep tight. The breakaways came where we had weakened the team and no one seemed to know what to do about it. Saving the penalty was great, but then falling for virtually the same move that had given the penalty away in the first place seconds later was disappointing. Having said all that, I thought that Exeter were a very strong side who played some lovely football, and Cureton and Gow ran the game and gave us problems which we haven't faced this season up until then. The Jack Payne saga is the first thing that has made me uneasy about MA; I hope this isn't the beginning of the strange decisions that has blighted his tenure at some other clubs. Still, 9 points clear of 4th place is not to be sniffed at and I still feel optimistic overall.
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:47 pm

I think the way the results have gone recently was expected a bit. Sides will start to figure out how to compete against a rampant side unless it is because of a Messi-esque player we dont have. Not only that but it coincides with us clear at the top and players will get just a touch complacent. True champions will work out how to win and I think we have been doing just that. I wasn't very confident at the last two home games and I felt they would be pretty stern tests so I am quite happy with the results really.

The Jack Payne saga seems odd. I have my views on the manager (great and a few concerns) and I hope this isn't the start of the bizarre decisions.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION