v Oxford

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: v Oxford

Postby Robpthegills » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:20 pm

I agree about the home fans. But watch the Football league show, even watch MOTD, there are empty seats everywhere, maybe not in the top 6 or 8 clubs but lots of empty seats. Fans are being priced out of football and those that do go seem to feel that paying the high prices gives them the right to expect winning every week.

I agree totally with Posh's statement. We are top of the league, top 2 all season, ffs get a grip this is as good as its ever going to get for a club like ours.

How it is scallys fault CODY went back is beyond me. If we hadn't had the recall placed in the loan then the loan would not have gone ahead.
Robpthegills

Postby Rimshot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Rob, if you base your policy on loans rather than signings this is bound to happen. Someone suggested to me that the reason we play better away is that for most of our players that's more 'home' than our ground is. Not entirely logical but you can see what is meant.
Rimshot

Postby Robpthegills » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm

lol valid point rimshot.

I am not a lover of all these loans tbh, but I suppose it gives you an opportunity to see a player and if you like him then go for the purchase.

Its strange but its not just ourselves that have an amazing away record. Port Vale and Exeter both have amazing away records this season, yet we are all letting ourselves down at home
Robpthegills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:45 pm

Think loans are the only way to go for the small clubs, don't know if it is the answer but not having a reserve team or developmental squad playing regular weekly games seems to me to make it very difficult for the manager to asses talent.
Bring a guy in on a Monday throw him into a reserve team for half hour Wednesday nite see what you have got, and then you know if he can join the squad for Saturdays game, but perhaps I am still living in the last century, now I guess you push a button on some computer and it tells you all you need to know.
I understand we have scouts watching players but if a player is not playing regular football like say Forecast how do you know what you are bringing in? From what I see German played once for Brentford this season ,played a few times for the developmental squad and has been around the block quite a bit for a 22 year old.
Anyway up , up and away to Division ONE, then that will give me something to worry about all summer.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm

It's not just small clubs either. A lot of Premier League clubs are opting to go with loans instead. Perhaps the financial rules are hitting them. Shame they have no effect on the huge privately owned clubs!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 pm

i agree that exciting play gets the crowd going, but why do the Gills run out to near silence. The action on the pitch hasn't even started so there is no excuse for a spattering of tepid applause!
Elgrande

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:06 pm

I know the answer, the fans all have their hands together in prayer, not knowing what the hell is going to happen on the pitch. Still an hour to go and already I have broken out into cold sweats, think I have used up my ration of "Please God's" for the whole month of March and probably half of April, and a ball has not been kicked yet.
gillsfan1066

Previous

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION